What can I do with Mouldy hay?

What can I do with Mouldy hay?

If you can smell mold in the bale, make sure to open the bale before giving it to them. If there is mold on the inside of the bale, throw it away. Usually, horses will not touch moldy hay, unless there is nothing else to eat.

What can mold do to horses?

The mycotoxins from mold can be toxic to horses. In mild cases horses might suffer from colic, lack of appetite, change in weight, and diarrhea. Horses may also salivate, which is also called the slobbers, or tear excessively.

What does Mouldy hay mean?

overgrown or covered with mold. 2. musty, as from decay or age. 3.

Can I compost moldy hay?

Moldy hay is a great material to compost. Molds are everywhere and they need to be.

Is moldy hay dusty?

Depends on what you can dusty too, any hay short of silage will produce dust but abnormal dust is usually mold spores from wet hay. A very slight pat with your hand on a moldy bale sends up a cloud of spores that is what we call dusty hay. You break that sucker open and it will be very dusty.

What happens if horses eat moldy hay?

Horses that eat moldy hay can die or show no ill effects at all. Hay with mold is dangerous for horses to eat; it can be toxic, cause colic and respiratory diseases like heaves. Many types of molds can grow in hay, and each causes different reactions.

What happens if horses eat Mouldy hay?

Horses that eat moldy hay can die or show no ill effects at all. Hay with mold is dangerous for horses to eat; it can be toxic, cause colic and respiratory diseases like heaves.

What kind of mold grows on hay?

Molds commonly found in hay include Alternaria, Aspergillus, Cladosporum, Fusarium, Mucor, Penicillium, and Rhizopus. These molds can produce spores that cause respiratory problems, especially in horses and, under some conditions, will produce mycotoxins.

How bad is moldy hay for horses?

How do you get rid of moldy hay bales?

Pull the wires or twine away form the bale, roll them up and throw them into a trash receptacle. Break the bale up into manageable pieces or flakes. Pick up the flakes and load them into the bed of a pickup truck. Haul the hay to a plant recycling center or nursery and donate it for reuse.

Is Mouldy haylage bad for horses?

There are moulds or other growth on the haylage. These coloured moulds can be very dangerous and this should never be fed to horses.

What happens if you feed your horse moldy hay?

Don’t feed moldy hay to horses. Most moldy hay problems are from mold spores, which can produce respiratory disease in horses. Many of the common mold toxins develop in the field during a delayed harvest. If you suspect a mold toxin problem, review your horse’s nutrition and health.

What kind of hay is bad for horses?

Moldy hay smells musty and has whitish to grayish dust and must be discarded. Very compact and heavy hay is a sign of mold. Bales of hay from cattle feedlots have higher levels of mold and are not suitable for horses. Cattle have no problems feeding on moldy hay, but the digestive system of a horse is much more sensitive.

What to do if your Hay has mold?

If mold toxins are present, you can often feed it in small amounts with other feed or feed it with approved feed additives. Plus sign (+) if content is closed, ‘X’ if content is open. Putting up wet hay allows mold growth while the hay is in storage.

What should I do if my horse eats Dusty Hay?

If hay is dusty, take care in feeding to sensitive animals and those, especially, in areas with poor ventilation. If hay is moldy, the recommendation is to not feed it to horses at all.