How do you make learning fractions fun?
These fraction games are a fun way to give them practice, in the classroom or at home.
- Sort sticky notes.
- Connect fractions to learn and win.
- Explore the Fraction of the Day.
- Grab the fun of fraction Spoons.
- Get them in order.
- Fight it out in a fraction war.
- Noodle around with fractions.
How do you teach fractions manipulatives?
Use the manipulatives to first explore the idea of fractions. Students can see how the individual pieces fit together to make one whole. You can then use the manipulatives to compare different fractions. Using blocks, fraction bars or a similar manipulative, have students show a fraction, such as 2/3.
How can I practice fractions at home?
Fractions at Home: Beyond the Pie
- Divide a large pile of objects (cereal, plastic animals, blocks, etc.)
- Get out the measuring cups and spoons!
- Fold a piece of paper into halves, and then into halves again with your child.
- Count the rooms in your house and make some fraction facts about them.
How do you teach improper fractions fun?
Hands-On Activities to Teach Writing Mixed Numbers to Improper…
- Cut Pizza. Pizza is a good prop for teaching fractions.
- Play Ball. Ball play can also be a fun way to learn fractions.
- Make Fraction Strips. Fraction strips help students see the parts and the whole for each mixed number very easily.
- Roll Dice.
How do you teach comparing fractions?
How to teach:
- Explain that number lines can help to compare fractions. Have students look at their number lines and point to the beginning point, the ending point, and the fractions in between.
- Use the number line to solve a story problem they can relate to.
- Prompt with follow-up questions.
What grade do kids start learning fractions?
with examples like cutting a cake into equal parts.
How do you work with fractions?
To work out a fraction of a number all you need to do is divide the number by the denominator of the fraction and multiply this answer by the numerator. Example 1. Work out 3/8 of 48. First of all divide 48 by the denominator:
How do you add fractions for kids?
There are two methods of adding or subtracting mixed numbers. Either add the whole numbers and then add the fraction parts, or convert each mixed number to an improper fraction before calculating. remind your child to reduce any answers to their lowest term and to change any improper fractions to mixed numbers.
What are math learning centers?
Lesson Summary. Math learning centers are areas in the classroom that contain a variety of math activities that give students the opportunity to practice skills that have already been introduced. Teachers can group students based on whatever the needs of the students in that particular class are.