How do I create a media contact list?
5 Steps to Create a Media List
- Define Your Target Audience. The first step to creating a media contacts list is to define the type of people you want to reach with your company news.
- Identify Journalists and Media Outlets.
- Decide on a List Format.
- Begin Adding Contact Information.
- Update Your Media List Regularly.
What are media contacts?
A media contacts database is a public relations tool that is maintained and used by PR professionals to pitch stories on a particular topic, product, or company to a specific group of journalists. These journalists would then write or speak about the particular topic in a relevant issue or episode of their shows.
How do you format a media list?
Most media lists include the following:
- First name.
- Last name.
- Media outlet/publication/blog name.
- Role (journalist, blogger, etc.)
- Beats/topics covered (if you can, try to be specific e.g. “natural cosmetics” instead of just “cosmetics” or “beauty/healthcare”
- Twitter or other social media account.
How do I make a PR list?
Assembling this list successfully requires knowing your media audience.
- Find writers who write about your topic.
- Include social media.
- Build relationships before you make the pitch.
- Determine the scope of your outreach.
- Use a national database.
How do I get PR contacts?
5 Easy Ways to Find Brand PR Contacts
- Get the contact from a press release. This is probably the number one way I’ve had success of finding a brand PR contact and the right one at that.
- Utilize Linked In.
- Ask a friend.
- The brand website.
- Social media.
How do I buy a media list?
There are generally two ways to buy media lists:
- Purchasing access to a media database and creating your own personalized media lists.
- Buying ready-made media lists that cover a specific beat and/or location.
How does media monitoring work?
Media monitoring tools work by using machine learning tactics to continuously crawl and index sites, such as Twitter, Reddit, etc. Once the software has indexed all of the best media sites, it can search those media outlets for mentions, customer opinions, specific products, brands, people, and more.
What is a media pitch?
A media pitch or a pitch is what we refer to as the email you send out to editors when pitching your client or brand to secure press coverage and interest. It’s also a critical part of the marketing and PR process within a PR firm that involves creative thinking and writing!
How do you network PR?
A Beginner’s Guide To PR: How to Network + Build Your Media List
- Connect, network and befriend.
- Attend networking events in your city or town.
- Always keep business cards handy.
- Join Facebook & LinkedIn Networking Groups.
- Organize and update your media contact sheets.
How do you build media relations?
15 Easy Tips to Help Small Businesses Build Strong Media Relationships
- Polish Your Pitch.
- Find the News Angle.
- Know Which Journalist to Contact.
- Find Media Contacts Looking for You.
- Reach out on Social Media.
- Send Personalized, Targeted Emails.
- Connect on Social Media.
- Share All the Information.
How much does a media list cost?
Media Contacts List offers US media contacts, with the prices ranging from $25 to $1200 depending on the list.
How can I create a media contact list?
Get the above media contact list as a Google Sheets template that you can fill in by yourself. To edit, simply create a copy of the template in Google Sheets. Below is the same list, seen in a media outreach tool like Prowly.
How to create an Excel template for a contact list?
Simplify the complex with data types in Excel. DOWNLOAD THE TEMPLATES NOW. Keep track of your customers and your appointments with them using this worthy Excel template. It’s as easy as entering the information. This is an accessible template.
What should be included in a media list?
Besides the name of the contact, media lists include the media outlet they belong to, their topics of interest, location, contact information, etc. Later in this post, I’ll go into detail on which additional information should be included.
How to create and edit a media list?
To edit, simply create a copy of the template in Google Sheets. Below is the same list, seen in a media outreach tool like Prowly. These tools let you find media contacts through a media database and directly create personalized PR lists with a few clicks.